A quick review: carbohydrates should be avoided on a ketogenic diet, whereas fats are encouraged. You could be forgiven for assuming that a bagel, the most carbohydrate-rich of all foods, could never be converted into a keto-friendly food. You should have known better! This bagel is delicious, and you can whip it up quickly and easily. The following is the method that we used to make these keto bagels:
Sub almond flour for bread flour.
Almond flour, or almond meal, is made by grinding blanched almonds into a fine powder. It has fewer carbohydrates than all-purpose flour and bread flour, and it is naturally gluten-free.
Add (a lot) of mozzarella cheese.
If the bagels were solely made with almond flour and eggs, they would be extremely crumbly, and, to be honest, they would not taste very good. The melting of cheese contributes a lot of taste and fat and helps create a chewy texture. When you are following a ketogenic diet, remember that fat equals good!
Does the dough need to rise?
Nope! And there is no need to knead the dough either, which means the preparation of the bagels takes less than an hour.
Can I make my own everything seasoning?
Of course. Only poppy seeds, granulated garlic, granulated onion, and sesame seeds are required for this recipe.
- 2 tablespoons of almond flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 3 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces of cream cheese
- 2 large eggs, plus 1 large egg softly beaten
- Everything at three tablespoons of bagel salt and pepper
- Adjust the temperature in the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare two rimmed baking pans with parchment paper lining them. Mix thoroughly with the almond flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Combine the cream cheese and mozzarella cheese in a bowl that is suitable for use in the microwave. The melting and combining of the cheese should take around 2 minutes, during which time you should stir the mixture every 30 seconds in the microwave.
- Scoop the cheese mixture into the bowl where the almond flour and butter are combined, then add the two eggs. Combine in such a way that all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated. Cut the dough into eight parts that are all the same size. Form a ball out of each part. Put your finger in the middle of each ball, then stretch it out to be a bagel. Bagels should be arranged in a circular pattern on the baking sheets.
- Spread beaten egg on top of each bagel, then top with everything bagel seasoning and set aside.
- Bake on the middle rack for 20 to 24 minutes until the food is golden brown. Hold for ten minutes at room temperature before serving.
Learn more: 8 Different Ways to Cook Hot Dogs